Friday, February 09, 2007

And so the first race is skipped

I hate skipping races. Sometimes I skip them for seemingly mundane reasons, but usually it is because of something "real". Like last year.

Tomorrow, I am supposed to run the Pemberton 50k outside of Phoenix. I've been excited about this race because I like trail runs, and because it would have been my first 50k ever.

About an hour before I was supposed to leave for the airport, I noticed that my nine pound dachshund had eaten his six foot red nylon leash. All of it. I didn't believe it at first. I found the little metal hook that attaches it to his collar and nothing else. I looked everywhere. It was nowhere.

So we headed for the emergency vet instead of the airport. They did xrays and an ultrasound. They didn't see anything that was obviously a leash... but it was clear that he had a lot of 'something' in there.

And then, as I was leaving to bring him home for observation, he pooped. And out came a piece of red nylon. Yikes. As long as he keeps pooping, the vet says it'll be ok. But he could get obstructed and that would be a bad thing.

We'll see.

No 50k on Saturday. Dunno about the marathon on Sunday.

50+ marathons is hard.

No comments: